Menu

Deflating a Legacy – The Lessons of Lance Armstrong

When our older daughter Emma was in kindergarten 16 years ago she knew the rules for the classroom were set by her teacher. One day Mrs. Bentley had to step into the hallway to speak to someone as her students were doing quiet work at their tables. The instructions were clear – everyone was to stay in his or her seat.

It happened that Emma was thirsty and decided to get out of her seat to get a drink at the water fountain in the classroom. She was a bit surprised by the negative reaction of her classmates, but after quietly getting a drink, she returned to her seat. That evening, Emma was feeling a bit of guilt as we ate dinner together and she told us the story. When I asked her why she thought it was okay to get a drink, she responded, “Mrs. Bentley didn’t see me.”

It was the moment we, as parents, rely on to teach our young children well, and reinforce matters of personal integrity when the consequences are small and the learning is big. The next morning, Emma met with Mrs. Bentley to share what she had done and apologize. Today I was gratified when I asked Emma about that day long ago; she remembered it like it was yesterday.

I spent some time this weekend reviewing the report from the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) detailing the case against Lance Armstrong for the use of performance-enhancing drugs. As has been widely reported, the consequences of the findings have been far-reaching for Armstrong and his foundation Livestrong. Stripped of his seven Tour de France titles, with his sponsors abandoning him in significant numbers, Armstrong remains defiant, but in full retreat.

The details of this legacy will be told in books, articles and interviews by those who participated in this story. My interest, however, is in the moral contrasts between a student in kindergarten and a grown-up celebrity athlete.

Lance Armstrong’s response to accumulating accusations over many years has been consistent, “I have never failed a drug test.” It sounds a lot like, “Mrs. Bentley didn’t see me.” We view that five-year old with eyes of warmth and compassion as tears of remorse fall into her dinner plate. Yet we look with bewilderment at a man who would have us believe breaking the rules is okay as long as you don’t fail the test. It’s a horrifying moral position to hold. It’s scandalous for cycling and an even greater tragedy for society.

It gets worse. We are now being asked to allow Armstrong’s accomplishments and good works to serve as justification for previous misdeeds. I’m all for redemption, but it is typically preceded by repentance. Should all the impressive cancer research funding supported by Livestrong compensate for the cheating that made it possible? Does the end justify the means? That’s the claim now.

In a USA Today article (October 21, 2012) detailing the fallout of the USADA decision there was one quote I had to read several times to be sure I understood it correctly:

Gerry Goldstein, a criminal defense attorney and friend of Armstrong for several years, criticized USADA’s investigation and sanctions of Armstrong.

Drug testers never caught Armstrong when he was competing, Goldstein said.

“I’m a big fan of what he has done. Overcoming cancer and doing what he did, who gives a (expletive) about anything else? That’s so much more important as a role model and a human being,” Goldstein said. “Quit whining about it.”

I understand Mr. Goldstein is an attorney working to serve the interests of his client, but when I read his statement I felt deflated. Perhaps some of our sports heroes need to be reminded that personal integrity matters, even when the teacher is not looking.

This piece was originally written for The Des Moines Register’s A Better Iowa, where President Mark Putnam served as a featured columnist.

About the Author

Mark Putnam

I'm the lucky individual who carries the title, 21st president of Central College in Pella, Iowa. Passionate about higher education and the issues facing it and the world today, I hope to invoke an engaging conversation with all who are ready to dig in, make a difference and build for the future. Share your thoughts. I'm listening and interested.

Comment